Monday, May 26, 2014

The Best Golf Ball for High Handicappers?

http://torontogolfreviews.blogspot.ca/2014/05/best-golf-ball-for-high-handicappers.html
 Toronto Golf Reviews©

There's no doubting that there's a very large variety of golf balls on the market today for golfers of all skill level. Many of these balls feature technology that's designed to increase this or decrease that and so on.

For high-handicappers, the process of choosing the best ball for their game is made even tougher due to the fact that some golf ball manufacturers, such as Titleist, claim that high-handicappers can play the same golf ball as tour professionals, whereas brands such as Bridgestone claim that the ball you play should relate to your swing speed and ultimately how good you are. Given this, it's almost impossible to choose a ball without getting torn between several options.

Let's look at this from a realistic perspective however. If you're a high handicapper (maybe 20+), then the odds are that aspects of your golf game like your swing fundamentals and strike aren't really too consistent. So, the golf ball you play isn't really going to make too much difference, at least, this is what I've noticed from experience. And if it does, how would you know for sure if it was the ball making the difference or you making the difference in your swing? Ultimately, your swing has a greater influence on your shot result than any ball ever will.

For example, say I'm a high-handicapper who slices shots often and I tee up a new top-of-the-line golf ball for the first time. I hit the ball and it's dead straight. How would I be able to tell if it was the ball that made me hit it that straight, or if it was because by chance I hit the sweet spot on my driver with the correct swing path? The bottom line is, while golf balls do make a difference in your golf game, I've found over the years that these differences are overshadowed by differences due to inconsistencies in your golf game; a consequence of being a high-handicapper.

Personally, I found that the major inconsistency in my golf game was not being able to hit the ball straight. I'd used to end up with at least 5+ lost balls during a round of 18 holes, on a good day. I'd keep buying brand-name golf balls from the golf stores like Golf Town and end up losing them all. From a financial sense, it was a waste of money, and it was also frustrating.

So if golf balls don't matter that much for high-handicappers, then wouldn't it make sense to buy cheaper golf balls, ones the won't make a dent in your wallet if you lose a few (or more)? That's exactly what I've started doing, even though I'm getter better and not losing as many balls. I've ditched the high-end brand name golf balls and have started to buy recycled golf balls in bulk. Walmart sells a bag of 60 assorted and recycled balls for $20 and that's what I've been buying. This way, I don't feel too bad about losing a few balls at the course and I won't get hung up over losing any, which is less than I can say when I was using high-end balls. Plus you'll find the occasional high-end ball in the bag.

So if you're a high-handicapper frustrated about losing money on golf balls or frustrated about which ball to buy, consider saving your money and buying in bulk.

This is just my opinion, but I am speaking from experience. Feel free to comment below on what you think the best balls for high handicappers are.

-Nick
Toronto Golf Reviews
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/mesh-bags-60-golf-balls/6000016951592 

1 comment: